1. Protect all items you place in storage. Use bubble wrap, mover’s stretch plastic wrap, boxes, and other protective means.
2. Use pallets, skids, 2×4’s or other support to keep your boxes off the floor. Keeping boxes off the floor prevents any possible flooding damage, and keeping a plastic sheet above the raised floor could further help prevent any moisture damage.
3. Place heavy plastic or cloth sheeting (drop cloths) over your property. This will keep dust and any other buildup from accumulating on your stored items.
4. Place Damp-Rid or similar moisture absorber in your Madison AL storage unit. Moisture is one of the main things to guard against inside a storage unit!
5. Pack electronics in the rear of the unit. This can further protect them from damage up front.
6. Pack glass items in protective packaging. Mark these packages “FRAGILE” for extra precaution.
7. Do not store valuables in your Madison AL storage unit (i.e. jewelry, furs, money, etc). These should be taken to safe deposit boxes at a bank or other higher security places.
8. Do not store flammable items or open food items. Both of these are recipes for disaster, either starting a fire or going rotten and causing terrible odors and attracting pests.
9. Place mouse traps or rat poison in the storage unit if it does not already contain it. Many storage unit areas already have these in place. Check with your local storage facility manager.
10. Use disc locks to secure your storage unit. They are the safest and most secure locks available. Your belongings are worth it!
Hope these tips help with your storage process in Madison AL. Happy storing!